One of the crucial priorities for the North Lynden WID is to alleviate the damage storm waters have on farms. Periodic flooding in the Fishtrap Creek area, primarily caused by stormwater coming out of BC, is a high priority of the North Lynden WID. Ensuring that ditches are maintained to handle flood waters and maximize drainage after flood events is a means to address this priority.
2019 Action List
1. Continue water quality monitoring - work with the county on the PIC program
- include BC and Lynden in these efforts.
2. Connect with BC farmers, landowners, and agencies regarding water quality.
3. Ditch maintenance on local ditches - demonstrate difference in water quality sampling improvement.
4. Continue contacts with neighbors regarding practices - request that ERTS complaints be routed to the NLWID - strive to be the first point of contact.
5. Spray ditches annually for Reed Canary Grass
6. Make use of 5 year permit for drainage maintenance. Identify drainage projects in Spring. Find funding and complete mitigation for projects.
7. Work on Culvert repair and replacement.
8. Stay current with groundwater protection efforts.